Mark focuses his practice on directors' and officers' liability and insurance, representations and warranties insurance, and insurance coverage litigation. In Mark's practice, he serves as coverage and claims monitoring counsel for primary and excess insurers in a wide-array of complex litigation. Mark also routinely serves as coverage counsel for primary and excess insurers that issue insurance policies in connection with various mergers, acquisitions, and other transactions. Prior to joining the firm, Mark focused on insurance litigation and commercial litigation. Mark received his law degree from The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, where he graduated Cum Laude. Prior to law school, Mark graduated Cum Laude from The Ohio State University with a bachelor's degree in political science.
- Experienced in litigating coverage claims on behalf of insurance carriers
- Experienced as lead counsel in all aspects of litigation, including drafting pleadings, motions, briefs, and written discovery, taking and defending depositions, attending mediations, presenting oral arguments, and conducting bench trials
- Experienced in appellate briefing and oral arguments
- Judicial Extern for Ohio Supreme Court Chief Justice Maureen O'Connor
- Represented insurer in obtaining summary judgment based upon denial under insured v. insured exclusion. Czerwinski v. Scottsdale Ins. Co., 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 147727 (C.D. Cal. Sep. 11, 2017).
- Represented insurer in obtaining dismissal of coverage lawsuit based upon late notice defense, which was affirmed on appeal. ISCO Industries v. Great Am. Ins. Co., 1st Dist. Hamilton No. C-180636, 2019-Ohio-4852 (1st Dist. Nov. 27, 2019).
- Represented insurer in obtaining dismissal of coverage lawsuit based upon uninsured capacity defense. Griffin v. Darling Ingredients, Inc., et al., Case No. 3:19-cv-009, United States District Court, Southern District, Ohio (S.D. Ohio March 23, 2020).
- Represented D&O and E&O insurers in connection with hundreds of securities class actions, derivative claims, employment matters, professional liability claims, and other management liability claims.
- Represented insurers in connection with dozens of representations and warranties insurance claims made in connection with mergers, acquisitions, and other transactions.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- The Employee Free Choice Act: The Effect of Compulsory Interest Arbitration on Entrepreneurs -- Entrepreneurial Business Law Journal - 5 Entrepren. Bus. L.J. 177 (2010)
- Law You Can Use - Creditors Ask Asset Questions in Judgment Debtor Exams, Ohio State Bar Association, December 2012
- Finding Some Certainty in the Substantially Uncertain Realm of Employer Intentional Tort: The History of Compensating Workers in Ohio, OACTA Quarterly Review, June 2013 (Co-author)
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Star, Insurance Coverage, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards: Insurance Law, Interprofessional Patient/Client Care
Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Member, Columbus Bar Association and Ohio State Bar Association
- Member, Florida Bar Association
- Member, Professional Liability Underwriting Society
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., 2011, Cum Laude)
- The Ohio State University (B.A., 2007, Cum Laude)
- United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- United States District Court, Southern District of Florida
- United States Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals