Don has extensive experience in all areas of real estate law, including the purchase and sale of residential and commercial properties, commercial, retail and office leasing, construction contracts, acquisition and leasing of minerals, financing, loan restructuring and workouts, and real estate tax issues. Don's practice also focuses on corporate matters, business planning, entity formation and operation, stock and asset purchase and sale. He also handles nursing home and healthcare projects.
- Acquisition of land and participation in taxable note financing and leasing of medical office buildings and ambulatory surgery centers.
- Represent the developer in the negotiation of a joint venture, construction, financing and leasing of a $60 million downtown Columbus office building and parking garage.
- Represent a large nursing home company in the acquisition, financing and sale of several nursing homes.
- Represent pension funds as landlord in the leasing of downtown and suburban office buildings.
- Represent a national fast food franchisee in the acquisition, leasing and financing of numerous restaurants.
- Negotiate, document and perform due diligence in connection with the acquisition of the assets of several companies controlling 60,000,000 tons of coal.
- Represent the financial partner in the documentation of joint ventures for the development of motels and shopping centers.
- Represent an insurance company in land sale-leaseback financing of suburban office buildings, and multifamily residential property.
- Obtain real estate tax exemptions for charitable and church property.
- Represent banks in construction and permanent loan transactions with commercial developers.
- Represent a coal mining company in the financing of a $16 million dragline, including mortgage security of coal in place to be mined.
- Form residential and medical office building condominiums.
- Represent tax payers in pursuing reduction and opposing increases in real estate tax valuation cases.
- Negotiate building construction contracts.
- Represent a professional soccer team in the negotiation of a ground lease for the construction of a soccer stadium.
- Represent lenders in the workout of real estate loans.
- Represent lenders in sale-leaseback financing.
- Represent a congregate care developer in the acquisition of a senior living apartment project out of a foreclosure.
- Represent the owner in the acquisition and development of a stone quarry and asphalt plant.
- Represent the developer of a golf course and condominium project in Phoenix, Arizona in refinancing of construction and permanent loans.
- Represent the owners of neighborhood shopping centers in the negotiations of tenant leases.
- Represent several partnerships as landlords in the leasing of space in medical office buildings.
- Represent hospitals as owner's counsel in connection with tax-exempt financing.
- Commercial real estate foreclosures and workouts.
- Represent a mobile telephone company in the acquisition and leasing of sites for mobile telephone towers.
- Represent the developer of an upscale housing development in the sale of lots, development of a homeowner "s association and creation of restrictive covenants.
- Represent a developer in several build-to-suit leases for restaurants and service stations.
- Represent a developer in the acquisition of several tracts of land for development of a 700 lot subdivision and sale of the lots to home builders.
- Represent a private country club in refinancing of existing debt and financing renovations.
Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Real Estate Section, American Bar Association
- Real Estate Committee, Columbus and Ohio Bar Associations
- Contributor, "Ohio Taxation," Judicial Remedies
- CLE Lecturer - Various Real Estate Topics
- Ohio Super Lawyer, 2008 - 2013
- Ohio State University (J.D., cum laude, 1970)
- Law Journal, Articles Editor
- Order of the Coif
- Miami University (B.S., 1968)