Harlan is a certified specialist in estate planning, trust and probate law, with over twenty years' experience representing individuals, families, fiduciaries, beneficiaries, charities and businesses. Harlan is experienced in tax planning, tax audits and tax appeals, with a background as a CPA and a master's degree in tax law. Harlan works with clients to craft business succession plans and strategies to reduce estate, gift and other taxes.
- Harlan works on federal, state and local tax matters, including representing Mapfre Stadium on tax matters, including passage of legislation to exempt the stadium from real property tax.
- Harlan argues tax cases before the Ohio Supreme Court, the Ohio Board of Tax Appeals, Ohio Department of Taxation and county Boards of Revision.
- Harlan represents clients in front of the Internal Revenue Service and the U.S. Tax Court.
- Part of the first group designated as a Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law by the Ohio State Bar Association.
- Former Chairman of the Columbus Estate Planning Council.
- Former Chairman of the Columbus Bar Association Probate Court Committee.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Client Alert: An Important New Asset Protection Tool: The Ohio Legacy Trust Act
- Tax Issues Following the Supreme Court Decision in U.S. v. Windsor; Ohio State Bar Association Convention Seminar
- The Estate Planning Workshoip, sponsored by WOSU, covering estate planning for Wills, trusts, retirement assets and charitable estate planning
- Top Lawyer in Columbus, named by Columbus CEO Magazine
- Martindale Hubbell, AV Rating
Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law by the Ohio State Bar Association
- Former Chairman, Columbus Estate Planning Council
- Columbus Bar Association
- Former Chairman, Probate Court Committee
- Columbus Jewish Foundation
- Chairman, Legal and Tax Advisory Committee
- Former Member, Board of Trustees and Executive Committee
- Member, Professional Council, The Columbus Foundation
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Council Member, Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law Section
- Member, Taxation Law Committee
- Florida State Bar Association
- Certified Public Accountant (inactive)
- New Albany-Plain Local School District
- Former Member of Facilities Committee and Finance Committee
- University of Florida College of Law (LL.M. in Taxation)
- University of Dayton School of Law (J.D.) cum laude
- Miami University (B.S. in Accounting)
- United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- United States Tax Court