Jameel practices in the areas of corporate business, unclaimed property, entertainment and sports and liquor law. Jameel is committed to providing excellence in service, which drives him to provide timely, practical advice and innovative solutions to assist clients in achieving target goals as their business needs evolve. Jameel focuses on forming lasting relationships with his clients built on mutual respect and trust.
- Jameel's broad-based corporate practice involves assisting small and large businesses alike with regulatory compliance issues, contract negotiation and drafting and dispute resolution. Jameel's rolodex of clients includes startup companies as well as multi-billion dollar retail chains. In the retail context, Jameel routinely assists clients with creation and development of open and closed loop prepaid card programs as well as understanding the rules of the road regarding deceptive and misleading advertising. Jameel also assists startup companies, entrepreneurs and investors with evaluating the most beneficial structure for new business ventures and preparing corporate governance agreements with an eye towards preventing future investor discord.
- Jameel's unclaimed property practice includes assisting holders with unclaimed property compliance strategies, the negotiation and resolution of voluntary disclosure agreements and unclaimed property audit defense. Jameel and his team have successfully obtained favorable settlements for large institutional clients in a number of unclaimed property audits dating back to 2006. Jameel has experience defending unclaimed property audits of businesses of all types and sizes, including, but not limited to, life insurance companies, online retailers, information technology companies, restaurant chains and other large retailers.
- Jameel's liquor practice consists of representing liquor permit holders in administrative matters, including the resolution of liquor law violations, citations, and sales and use tax delinquencies.
- Jameel's consumer law practice involves assisting retail clients with advertising law issues and the conduct of various sweepstakes and contests in compliance with state gambling laws. Jameel has also successfully negotiated settlements on behalf of consumers who have been damaged by unlawful sales practices.
- Additionally, Jameel's experience related to privacy laws and cyber security allow him to assist clients with development of policies and procedures related to the collection and storage of personal information in various contexts as well as advise his health care clients on issues related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Client Alert: Online Retailer Updates, October 2014 (#2)
- Client Alert: Retail Legal Updates, October 2014
- Delaware's Authority to Claim Abandoned Property Owned to a Non-U.S. Last-Known Address
- Florida Unclaimed Property Insurance Settlement Model Conflicts with Fed Common Law Governing Priority of State Unclaimed Claims
- Life Insurance, Unclaimed Property and the Death Master File: Toward a Uniform National Framework
- U.S. Supreme Court Amicus Brief, Taylor vs. Yee
Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- African American Leadership Academy, Fifth Class of Fellows
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Start 2014, 2015
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., 2004)
- University of Toledo (B.A., 2000) cum laude