Mike practices in the areas of employee benefits, intellectual property, corporate and business.
- Mike has been involved with all aspects of employee benefits, including welfare benefits, retirement benefits and deferred compensation.
- His experience includes designing, drafting, tax qualification issues, government audits and investigations and other regulatory and operational matters relating to employee benefit plans.
- Mike has experience in the negotiation of contracts with plan providers including investment advisors, third-party administrators, and insurers.
- Mike has litigated benefit claims against and on behalf of plans and insurers and has defended fiduciary liability cases involving plan investments and administration.
- Mike is experienced in obtaining, protecting, and licensing trademarks and copyrights.
- His experience includes the litigation of infringement actions and the purchase and sale of intellectual property and URLs.
- Mike serves as outside general counsel to numerous privately held businesses. His representation includes formation and structure, operational matters, employment and compensation matters, capitalization including private placement of debt and equity securities, succession planning, and shareholder disputes.
- Mike has served as lead counsel on numerous acquisitions and sales of middle market companies in various industries.
Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Member, Columbus Bar Association, Employee Benefits Committee
- Ohio State Bar Association, Corporation Law Committee
- American Bar Association
- Trustee, Columbus Bar Association Pension Plan
- Former Chairman of the Board, Columbus Bar Services, Inc.
- Member, Catholic Foundation of Columbus, Professional Advisory Committee
- Former Director and Executive Committee Member, Columbus Legal Aid Society
- Former President, Lawyers Club of Columbus
- Former Counsel, Columbus Bar Association
- Martindale Hubbell, AV Rating
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation
- Fellow of the Ohio State Bar Foundation
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation
- Recipient of the Bar Services Medal
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., 1972) summa cum laude
- The Ohio State University (B.S. Business Administration, 1967)
- United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Tax Court