David focuses his practice on directors' and officers' liability and insurance, professional liability insurance, fiduciary liability insurance, and insurance coverage litigation. In his practice, David serves as coverage and claims monitoring counsel for insurance companies providing primary and excess coverage in connection with a wide array of claims involving directors’ and officers’ liability, professional errors and omissions liability, fiduciary liability, employment liability, and other commercial issues. David also has experience assisting insurance companies in analyzing matters submitted under financial institution bonds.
Prior to joining the firm, David was a senior associate at a boutique law firm in Chicago, Illinois, where he served as coverage and monitoring counsel for domestic insurance companies, London-based companies, and Lloyd's syndicates in matters involving director and officer liability, professional liability, media liability, employment liability, fiduciary liability, and financial institution bond policies. David began his legal career as an Assistant Corporate Counsel for the City of Chicago's Department of Law, serving as primary litigation counsel in civil rights lawsuits filed in both federal and state courts.
- Significant experience representing insurance company clients in all aspects of claims against corporate directors and officers arising from mergers, acquisitions, recapitalization transactions, and preferred offerings.
- Significant experience representing insurance company clients in connection with specialized “Side A” policies those insurers issue to corporations, which policies generally provide coverage for non-indemnifiable loss incurred by corporate directors and officers.
- Significant experience negotiating favorable results for insurance company clients in informal settlement negotiations as well as in formal mediations with professional neutrals.
- Experience representing insurance company clients in connection with all varieties of securities class action and shareholder derivative litigation, including a substantial amount of experience assessing and analyzing liability and damages issues that those cases present to the individual directors and officers named as defendants.
- Experience representing insurance company clients in connection with a wide range of claims involving financial institutions, including claims by the FDIC as receiver of failed banks, claims against investment advisors and broker-dealers, and bond claims arising from cyber-crime and employee dishonesty.
- Experience representing insurance company clients in connection with claims against directors and officers that are either impacted by, or arise from, corporate bankruptcy proceedings.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Co-Authored Articles addressing coverage issues under medical facility errors and omissions insurance policies (Michael J. Rosen & David A. Shedd, Falling Through the Cracks: Qui Tam Lawsuits And the Prior And Pending Litigation Exclusion, BUSINESS LAW & GOVERNANCE (American Health Lawyers Association Business Law and Governance Practice Group, Washington, D.C.), June 2009, at 6.)
- Co-presented directors' and officers' liability insurance webcast for the American Health Lawyers Association and participated as an expert in a related nationwide panel discussion.
Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Member, Columbus Bar Association
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society
- Volunteer, LifeCare Alliance "Meals on Wheels" Program
- Volunteer, Lutheran Social Services Food Pantries
- Volunteer, WYCA Family Center
- Parent and Community Board of Children First
- Washington University School of Law (J.D., 2002)
- University of Arkansas (B.A., 1997)
- Ohio (2011)
- Illinois (2002)
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois