Matt’s practice focuses primarily on corporate reorganization and workouts, debtor/creditor rights, bankruptcy, commercial litigation, and commercial matters. He has experience representing Chapter 11 debtors, financial institutions, trustees, and a variety of secured and unsecured creditors in bankruptcy proceedings, litigation, and workouts. He is a member of the independent panel of Chapter 11 Subchapter V bankruptcy trustees for the Southern District of Ohio, and he is a member of the panel of Chapter 7 Trustees for the Southern District of Ohio. Matt also has considerable experience representing businesses in a variety of non-bankruptcy matters. He has been with Bailey Cavalieri LLC since its founding, and he was formerly with an Am Law 100 firm.
- Represented a private label/co-branded credit card issuer in the Chapter 11 cases of various national retailers.
- Represented a national mortgage lender as debtor's counsel in its liquidating Chapter 11.
- Represented the pension fund in pursuing a $5.6 billion claim against an energy producer and its control group in and out Chapter 11.
- Prevailed in a motion to disallow more than $50 million of class action claims filed in bankruptcy court.
- Represented a major secured lender in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of an oil and gas producer.
- Represented a publicly-held furniture retailer as debtor's counsel in a liquidating Chapter 11.
- Represented the creditors committee in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of a mobile phone carrier.
- Represented a bank in the prosecution of fraudulent transfers to a trust characterized as "creditor proof" and obtained a settlement favorable to the bank.
- Represented, as debtors' counsel in Chapter 11, a publicly-held manufacturer in the metal coil processing industry. The business operations were sold in chapter 11, preserving jobs and the economic activity of the business.
- Represented a major secured lender in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of companies operating more than 130 gas stations and convenience stores.
- Represented an equipment lessor in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of a corporate guarantor of a failed water park.
- Represented a municipality in a variety of matters, including the dischargeability in bankruptcy of local income taxes.
- Represented an apartment complex as debtor's counsel in a successful Chapter 11 reorganization.
- Represented lenders in bankruptcy and workout matters.
- Represented a cemetery in wrongful burial litigation.
- Represented bankruptcy trustees in various litigation matters.
- Prosecuted and/or defended hundreds of adversary proceedings on various issues, including fraudulent conveyances, preferential transfers, and turnover actions.
- Prosecuted non-dischargeability actions.
- Advises businesses who have been the victims of computer fraud and funds transfer fraud.
- Involved in various litigation matters, including insurance disputes, fiduciary accounts, leveraged buy-out, valuation, automatic stay matters, and plan confirmation issues.
- Litigated cases in state and federal trial courts, appellate courts, and the Ohio Supreme Court.
- Represented parties in litigation concerning contractual disputes, ERISA defense, commercial collections, foreclosures, funds transfer fraud, and non-compete contracts.
- Completed the mediator training course co-sponsored by the Columbus Bar Association.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- “Small Business Reorganizations and Individual Chapter 11s,” American Bankruptcy Law Forum (2020)
- “Business Bankruptcies: An Overview and Discussion of Trends and Issues in Commercial and Single Asset Real Estate Bankruptcies,” Columbus Bar Association (2020).
- “Business Law Update: COVID-19 and the Legal Impact on Small Businesses – Small Business Bankruptcy,” Ohio State Bar Association (2020).
- “Overview of Retailer Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Cases,” Alliance Data Systems (2019)
- “Current Issues in Retailer Chapter 11”, American Bankruptcy Law Forum (2018)
- "The Dischargeability of Municipal Income Taxes in Bankruptcy," American Bankruptcy Law Forum (2016)
- "Recovering Possession of Real Property: Judicial Eviction and Self-Help Repossession," Ohio State Bar Association
- “The Ordinary Course of Business Exception After BAPCPA,” American Bankruptcy Law Forum.
- "Judgment Enforcement in Ohio," Lorman Education Services.
- "The Fundamentals of Bankruptcy Law and Procedure in Ohio," National Business Institute.
- "The Waiver Provisions of the Older Workers Benefit Protection Act," 24 Capital Univ. Law Rev. 257 (1996).
- Rising Star, Journal of Law & Politics
- Recognized as "Top Lawyer" by Columbus CEO Magazine, 2016
- "Super Lawyer," 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Ohio, Local Rules Committee Member
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Ohio, Pro Bono Project Member
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Ohio, Judicial Liaison Committee Member
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Ohio, Mediation Subcommittee Member
- Columbus Bar Association, Bankruptcy Committee Member
- Ohio State Bar Association, Member
- Champaign County Bar Association, Member
- Thomas F. Waldron American Bankruptcy Law Forum Member
- Columbus Bar Association, Military Assistance Task Force
- Board of Trustees of Catholic Central Schools, Springfield, Ohio
- Lecturer, Street Law, Columbus City Schools
- Volunteer Tutor, Columbus City Schools
- Capital University School of Law (J.D., cum laude)
- Order of the Curia
- Capital University Law Review, Managing Editor
- Recipient, J. Andrew Fulker Memorial Scholarship
- Named to the National Dean's List
- Ohio State University, (B.A. Political Science)
- US District Court, S.D. Ohio
- US District Court, N.D. Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit