Jim is a member with Bailey Cavalieri LLC and is the chair of the real estate practice group. Jim's practice includes commercial real estate law, real estate and asset based commercial lending and general corporate law. Jim negotiates, on behalf of buyers and sellers, real estate purchase and disposition documents and performs due diligence review in regard to real estate acquisitions and dispositions. He represents landlords and tenants in commercial lease negotiations relating to office buildings, industrial warehouses and retail shopping centers. Jim also provides land use advice and counsel to developers, users, and cities in regard to commercial, retail, industrial and residential facilities. Such land use representation includes rezonings and development rights. Jim's practice also includes extensive experience in representing both lenders and borrowers in the negotiation of acquisition, construction and permanent loan documentation for real estate secured and asset-based financing.
- Represents a national communications company in its acquisition, disposition, leasing and development of real estate projects.
- Responsible for all review and negotiation of title and survey matters regarding seventy-six shopping centers purchased as part of an initial public offering for a Columbus real estate investment trust.
- Actively represents Columbus lenders in middle-market asset and real estate financings.
- Represents a major Columbus healthcare system in all areas of real estate and finance.
- Negotiated extensive re-zoning of projects for commercial parks and medical campuses.
- Obtained re-zonings and zoning variances for a national telecommunications company throughout Central Ohio.
- Obtained real estate tax exemptions for charitable and church real property.
- Martindale Hubbell, AV Rating 2001-Present
- Ohio Super Lawyer, 2011-Present
- Best Lawyers in America (Real Estate Law), 2014-present
Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Member, Columbus Country Club, 1989-Present
- Member, Ohio and Columbus Bar Associations, 1991-Present
- Lecturer, Columbus Board of Realtors, 1996-1998
- Secretary, Columbus Bar Association Real Property Section, 1997-1999
- Member, Board of Arbitration, Catholic Diocese of Columbus, 1997-2000
- Advocate, Knights of Columbus Council 5801, 1997-2001
- Lecturer, Ohio CLE Institute, 1998
- Chairman, Columbus Bar Association, Real Property Section, 1999-2001
- Member, St. Matthew School Board, 1999-2002
- Member, Real Property Law Institute Committee, Columbus Bar Association, 2004-2009
- Member, Athletic Club of Columbus, 2004-Present
- Member, St. Matthew Parish Council, 2006-2009
- Member, Board of Trustees Executive Committee, The Arthritis Foundation-Central Ohio Chapter, 2007-2016
- University of Cincinnati College of Law, Cincinnati, Ohio (J.D., 1990)
- Miami University, Oxford, Ohio (B.S., 1987)