Gary is a Member in the Labor and Employment Group and represents public and private employers of all sizes with respect to all aspects of labor and employment law. He counsels and guides employers through employee misconduct investigations, employee performance management, employee discipline and discharge, union avoidance, collective bargaining, wage-hour compliance, disability accommodations, government audits and investigations, contract and policy preparation and risk avoidance. Gary frequently represents employers in preparing, defending and attacking restrictive covenant agreements and has considerable experience in trade secret protection and enforcement. He defends employers in employment litigation involving allegations of discrimination, harassment, wage-hour violations, FMLA and wrongful discharge. He regularly assists employers in evaluating labor and employment risks associated with mergers and acquisitions. Gary regularly speaks to business organizations regarding current workplace issues and conducts frequent management training workshops.
- Routinely advises employers regarding loss prevention and compliance involving diverse workplace laws and regulations addressing harassment and discrimination, wage-hour, leave of absence, trade secrets, union avoidance, employee discipline and discharge, collective bargaining and grievance defense, reduction in force, affirmative action and employment contracts.
- Successfully represented public and private employers in collective bargaining negotiations, labor arbitrations, work stoppages and unfair labor practice charges.
- Successfully defended employers in litigation in federal and state courts and before state and federal agencies regarding allegations of discrimination, harassment, wrongful discharge, overtime violations, breach of employment contract, employee leave and FMLA violations.
- Best Lawyers in America, 2006 - 2019
- Employment Law - Management
- Labor Law - Management
- Litigation - Labor and Employment
- Best Lawyers in America
- 2019 "Lawyer of the Year"
- Labor Law - Management in Columbus, OH
- Martindale Hubbell, AV Rating
Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Director, Big Brothers/Big Sisters Association of Central Ohio, 1987-2001 (President 1999-2000)
- Director, Big Brothers/Big Sisters Foundation, 2001-Present (President 2008-2009)
- Member, Ohio Management Lawyers Association (Chair 2017-18)
- Member, Columbus Bar Association
- Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana (J.D., 1985)
- Elmhurst College, Elmhurst, Illinois (B.S., 1982, with high honors)
- Illinois (Inactive Status)
- United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals